Seeking Sustainability

The greening of our nature's masterpiece.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Making Our Lists, Checking Them Thrice

We're still working on overall goal setting, but we have a decent set of short and long term goals to start. I'll post those later when I have them handy. In the meantime, we're working on our lists for the 100 Thing Challenge. We're giving ourselves until January 1, 2011, which is roughly six months from our decision to do this, to get down to 100 things each.

So far I've managed to get rid of five trash bags full of clothes and keep those which are best suited for work, school, and down time. This is after I already purged a bunch of clothes. I had been holding on to a lot of clothes in the hopes that they would fit me again, but really in the meantime there are other people who could use those clothes and I can find clothes when I lose weight. This time around I kept a couple outfits of each size lower so I have some backup as I will be losing weight soon, but not much. Even still my list of 100 things is still half full with clothes alone, so I need to lose weight before January 1 enough to get rid of at least the current stuff, possibly the next size down, too.

In other news, we've been talking about just how small we could live, and the possibility of getting the Fencl model (130 sf) and getting creative with use of space, such as when Ian is older and needs privacy giving him the loft and building a compartment to store a roll-out futon mattress in the living area for our sleeping needs. If we build it ourselves and find a suitable cheap lot on Craigslist or similar (making sure we check for no quit claim, legal building lot, zoning permits essentially mobile homes/temporary structures/camps, etc.) we could easily save up the money and own our own home without mortgage in four or five years, and it would be very eco-friendly and, should we need to relocate, we could take our home with us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment