Seeking Sustainability

The greening of our nature's masterpiece.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Holiday Sustainability

"An optimist is a person who starts a new diet on Thanksgiving Day." - Irv Kupcinet

This holiday season has been a little more tricky as we start living a more sustainable life. While we don't formally celebrate Christmas or Thanksgiving for their intended purpose, we do take advantage of the times for family to gather and spend time together. It's rare that we get all or most of either of our families together in the same place at the same time, so we enjoy it however we can find it. Something we did years ago with Christmas was insist that we did not want any gifts. That was a difficult transition to make more for our family than for us, but it has worked out wonderfully.

This Thanksgiving was especially different for me as I'm trying to transition to a plant-based diet. My parents enjoy the traditional Thanksgiving spread, including the family recipe for pork stuffing. I admit I had some turkey and stuffing, though I tried to keep my portions down compared to previous years. In a way I knew I would never convince my family that we could do a vegetarian Thanksgiving, and the turkey and stuffing would have been there whether I ate it or not... yeah, slippery slope and not very committed I admit, but there it is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment